Win a pair of Tickets to Nation

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Win a pair of Tickets to Nation

Postby Jason » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Win a pair of tickets to see the first performances of Terry Pratchett's Nation live on stage at the National Theatre, Wednesday 11 November, 7.30pm. The National Theatre's latest spectacular family production is an exhilarating adventure story of survival and self-discovery.

A parallel world, 1860.

Two teenagers thrown together by a tsunami that has destroyed Mau's village and left Daphne shipwrecked on his South Pacific island, thousands of miles from home.

One wears next to nothing, the other a long white dress; neither speaks the other's language; somehow they must learn to survive.

As starving refugees gather, Daphne delivers a baby, milks a pig, brews beer and does battle with a mutineer. Mau fights cannibal Raiders, discovers the world is round and questions the reality of his tribe's fiercely patriarchal gods. Together they come of age, overseen by a foul-mouthed parrot, as they discard old doctrine to forge a new Nation.

Live music, thrilling dance and spectacular puppets come together to bring a shipwreck, South Pacific tribes, invading cannibals and a talking parrot to extraordinary life on the National Theatre stage.

To enter the competition, please email trobertson@nationaltheatre.org.uk with the answer to the following question: In what year is Nation set? Successful winners will be contacted no later than 4pm on Monday 9 November. Performance starts at 7.30pm. Tickets must be collected by 7pm from the National Theatre Box Office on the evening of the performance.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/49671 ... ation.html
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Sounds great Jason, but I thought it was Mau who milked the pig. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:25 am

In the book certainly. I'm just reproducing the text I was sent form the National Theatre. Still it is chance to get free tickets to the play.
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Jason » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:15 am

Turns out there were quite a few differences between the book and the play.

The play is sort of the story of Nation but written by somebody else. Sort of second hand telling if you like. It was very good, funny, moving and exciting but it wasn't Terry's version of Nation.

Some bits worked brilliantly, some bits were confusing, some bits need more work and some bits need removing. Still a very entertaining evening.
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:10 pm

Having just finished Maskerade, I can imagine there are differences. I hope, at the very least there wasn't a dead soprano held up by a broomstick and the jaw moved by wires... :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jason » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:36 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Having just finished Maskerade, I can imagine there are differences. I hope, at the very least there wasn't a dead soprano held up by a broomstick and the jaw moved by wires... :lol:

Nope - it was just the first preview night. Give them time.
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Return to The Broken Drum