Harsh Justice?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Harsh Justice?

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:57 pm

I saw an interesting article in the New York Times about a girl who while text messaging and driving, crashed into another car, killing the driver.

This was in Britain and presumably the story made it to the news over there.

Full story here.

The girl was (under new British laws) sentenced to 21 months in prison and seems to feel hard done by.

Using mobile phones while driving either for talking or texting is becoming more and more of an issue both here in the US and in the UK.

What are your thoughts on this? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:16 pm

She was lucky not to get a longer sentance, and also should be made to sit her test again after a lengthy ban. :evil:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby kakaze » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:18 pm

She killed someone through stupid neglect. I don't think she was "hard done by", I think she got off lightly.

Here in the States you just get 30 days and 100 days of community service.

http://www.mycellphoneiskillingme.com/r ... ident.html
kakaze

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:40 pm

kakaze wrote:She killed someone through stupid neglect. I don't think she was "hard done by", I think she got off lightly.

Here in the States you just get 30 days and 100 days of community service.

http://www.mycellphoneiskillingme.com/r ... ident.html
I suspect that's going to depend on which state it happens in. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Haven't got much time and didn't read all the article - but then I don't need to. Why are criminally culpable actions committed whilst driving a car so wrapped up in cotton wool by the courts and law enforcers? :evil:

If someone is gravely or fatally injured in a car accident (whether or not they're also in a car or a pedestrian) then that is the most serious form of assault or manslaughter. If someone's incapable because of alcohol or drugs/substance abuse they shouldn't be driving and mostly know they're shouldn't! :x If they then disable or kill someone then that is a crime against the person and is just as bad as glassing someone in a pub fight. Getting in a car drunk or stoned is as bad as carrying a weapon on you, even if you didn't go out with the intention of using it.

A car is a dangerous piece of equipment even if you are perfectly sober - I won't drive at all if I have anything alcoholic to drink - even a sip, because I don't consider myself that great a driver at the best of time as my reactions aren't that great and I tend to panic sometimes (as a matter of fact I'm not driving much atm because I know my concentration's all over the place with family worries). OK this silly woman wasn't drunk, but she might as well have been as she wasn't driving with 'due care and attention' which is anyway a minor criminal act in itself that can lose you your licence or a short jail sentence, even if you don't injure anyone.

Because her concentration was elsewhere for some stupid vapid reason someone died. 'Everybody uses mobiles/cells when they're driving' - bollocks. When I had one I never had it switched on in the car and if I needed to make a call (I never text) I was always parked up and there are good enough hand-held phones now if you really can't go more than 10 mins without talking to someone about nothing that can't wait an hour or so. Texting ditto and worse - even if you can touch text you need both hands to control your vehicle - a dangerous piece of equipment that needs skill and concentration to handle safely.

Sorry - no sympathy at all. :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Train engineer killed many peeps when he missed the red light on his line because he was "texting". Two Northwest Airline pilots MISSED Minneapolis MN by an HOUR!!! Their reason was, we were using our laptops... !!! An HOUR????????? Come On, if we are like 10 or 15 minutes late getting to my destination, especially on Northwest, I am asking the steward/attendant, because there are usually connecting flights involved. Connecting flights with busses and you Have to be there at least 15 min before it says you have to so you can ride the DAMN bus to the plane. There are federal laws about cell phones and many state laws coming into being because we, as a race, should NOT be driving while doing ANYTHING else which takes our vision off the road.

Radio controls have been in the steering wheels since at least 1995 when my minivan was built. Babies, well, Fisking PULL OVER. Small children wreaking havoc, Fisking PULL OVER. I once saw a man on an interstate with a newspapter held up by his steering wheel and not once while passing him did he look up. PULL OVER! There are altogether too many accidents in cars caused by stupidity... Ice, drive really really slow and carefully. Snow? Drive slowly, own tires less than two years old and DRIVE SLOWLY!!! I don't give a rip if you have 4 wheel drive, it takes just as FISKING long to stop!!! Rain? Use your wipers, turn ON your headlights, tis the law in IL, and DRIVE SLOWER!!! Wanna drive like a nut? Go to Wyoming, I think it is where there is no speed limit on interstates.

My feeling is, especially after watching one girl texting while driving... If you MUST text while driving, Just Kill Yourself!!!!! Let Natural Selection take it's course. There are insurance companies now who put cameras into teen's cars, but that is not going to stop much. The parents MUST be involved.

p.s. Fisking is a term I gleaned from John Ringo books and well, as a general word it seems to work without resorting to symbols, when we all really know what we are trying to say.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby chris.ph » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 pm

some little git hit me a few years, driving down a country lane. he was reading his texts messages. he damaged my bumper and smashed one of my headlights for some reason i flattened the whole front end of his mothers renault. he wanted togo knock for knock so i phoned the police and they finally arrived and did him for careless driving and he had to pay for my car tobe fixed :lol:
anybody using a mobile while driving should be banned and i personally think the girl got off very lightly i would have sentenced her to life as thats what she has sentenced the others family to life without their family member
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby cols » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:36 am

I see people everyday either talking or texting on the phone while driving and it drives me nuts..
as Jan has pointed out a car is a dangerous piece of equipment that needs skill and concentration to handle safely.
When I was learning to drive the OH would say remember you are in control of something which can kill instantly so respect that ... I always think of this when my attention starts to lag a bit so that I can keep alert.

I'd never use my phone while driving and I've stopped doing it while walking even as a couple of weeks ago I fell over a railing in the car park of the supermarket whilst trying to find my phone in my bag and then while utterly humiliated text my friend to tell her what I'd done and walked in to a poll- :oops:
cols

Postby mspanners » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:30 am

Anything that distracts you from the job of Driving is an issue, I used to work with a Chap who turned over a works Van when He dropped a Cigarette in His lap whilst Driving! :shock: :lol:

Lied to the Boss and said He had to swerve to miss a Deer and went up the embankment!!

Anyone who Drives whilst one the Phone is an idiot, have an accident and the Law WILL know as the Phone Company will log dates and times on their network and it is usually in the Phones Logs as well.

Watched a TV show the other day which had a Truck Driver crush a car and compact SIX other car because He was messing about with the Phone the Truck Company had instilled in His cab, Killed a Young Girl when He plowed into the Back of Her as She waited in a Line of Traffic on one of the Motorways........ :(

Don't do it.
Full stop.
mspanners

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:41 pm

that happens all the time here and the b*****s dont even notice when my dad honks at them five times in a row. :x

Once a two guys(teenagers) on a motorbike were shooting along on a narrow road when a truck suddenly breaked. They crashed into our wing mirror, flew off and one guy broke his leg. The other was just shocked. THe truck drove off.
My dad took them off to the hospital(well, the police station first cos the police were being uncooperative and rather dim). In the end my we had to pay for the hospital fees cos we happened to be there and they couldnt find anyone else(plus a bribe).
Weel, what can u say. Its indonesia. Thats kind of become a cliche now. :lol: I.I.!! :roll:

Talk about police...............
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey Ponder, where in Indonesia do you live? :P
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Trish » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:13 pm

She is responsible for a death through her actions.
21 months is hardly onerous.
Trish

Postby Ponder Stibbons » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:01 am

poohcarrot wrote:Hey Ponder, where in Indonesia do you live? :P

In kemayoran, jakarta. Why :?:

This was a bit further out though when it happened. But u get crazy drivers and motorcyclists everywhere. It does wonders for peoples stress levels, generally by making sure they never have one again. :x :lol:
Smilies are friends, not food. Image
..............Now You See It, Now You Don't..............Image
Proud Copper Widow
Ponder Stibbons

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:55 pm

Just interested. :P

(When you quote, make sure you put inverted commas round the person's name. quote="Ponder Stibbons")
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:11 pm

pedantic b*st*rd wrote:(When you quote, make sure you put inverted commas round the person's name. quote="Ponder Stibbons")

and don't forget the squared brackets else it still won't work... :wink:
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Next

Return to The Broken Drum